Explore Cynik Universe

Commissioned Art Urthlings Comic Vixens Observations Grumblings Sketch Book

THE OBSERVATORY - ENTRY # 0014: CHIC MYTHOLOGY


BY: MRAM
August 7, 2009

In this day and age of televised programming on your planet, I have noticed a disturbing number of Reality-Based shows, Infomercials and other mind numbing concoctions. The basic formula that was the staple of your culture since the advent of the first fully functional television set is almost, if not already, extinct. In the battle for ratings and the need for instant gratification, a great number of gifted writers are forced to crank out what studios think will be ‘instant hits’ or ratings juggernauts. Thus, compromising and ultimately weakening the creativity of said writer. As evident in the shows viewers are exposed to today.

I have no interest in worrying about some Jabroni who wants to marry another Shmendrick who in turn wants to become a gazillonaire or the next universal icon.

Geez, I’m still trying to figure out how to make ends meet and make sure my family is solid. I shouldn’t need to be getting caught up on watching other people try to get over on each other just so they can achieve their 15 minutes of fame.

Apologies, People...I just had to blast that out there.

Anyway, the real reason I’m writing this article during these dog days of Summer is to say that few shows in the past few years have captured my imagination. There are a few, but I have to say that my favorite right now is the show titled: SUPERNATURAL.

Go ahead and call me a Geek or a Fanboy, but this show is seriously pretty bad ass. I mean, I expected a revisit to the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew -like adolescent EMO stories of mystery and suspense. Well heck, when I see commercials and billboards that show two young actors that are clearly going to grab the attention of many a female and then add to the fact that it’s on a network that gives us lucky viewers some masculine works as GOSSIP GIRL and ONE TREE HILL, what was I supposed to expect?

Exactly...

Would these 'studs' vanquish the villains by giving them hugs, hot cocoa and a shoulder to cry on? Can anyone tell me?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Well then, nuff’ said.

Ok, I was wrong in my assumptions. I gave this show a look a few seasons ago and have been hooked ever since.

“SUPERNATURAL is paranormal drama television series. The show follows brothers Sam and Dean Winchester, who travel across the United States (that country, so far) in a black 1967 Chevy Impala investigating and combating paranormal events and other unexplained occurrences, many of them based on urban legends and folklore, as well as classic supernatural creatures such as demons, vampires, werewolves, and ghosts.

Ok, in a nut shell…testosterone, a plethora of weaponry & various firepower, hand to hand combat, bad jokes, eye candy (for males AND females), that 67’ Impala and to top it all off, 1970’s classic rock selections for the show’s soundtrack????

Cheese & Rice! It doesn’t get any better than that!

Well, ok... maybe a few other things are.


0 comments: