Explore Cynik Universe

Commissioned Art Urthlings Comic Vixens Observations Grumblings Sketch Book

THE OBSERVATORY - ENTRY # 0016: GRATUITY



By TWEAKNEE
August 22, 2009


Listen up servers, hosts, restroom attendants, etc...

This is just a pet peeve of mine...

Do you provide above average quality customer care? Are you honestly going above & beyond what is expected of you? Do you really expect a tip every time?

Those are the questions I ask myself when I’m faced staring at the tip jar. For the record, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to pick apart this particular phenomenon.

When a waiter, waitress or the order taking sentient from the donut shop gives me mediocre service, something I’m okay with by the way, I always wonder if they feel they deserve a tip. I question whether or not they feel they did their job well enough to warrant some extra coin.

Of course, I would never think twice to stiff those service reps who are truly obnoxious or oblivious to their “customer service” title.

Shouldn’t a tip be left for those who do more than what their job asks?

Maybe I should walk around with a tip jar and jingle it around every time I give someone advice, bad or good.

Now will I?

No, of course not. But you can bet that me and countless other customers would definitely want to.

I honestly feel that an average rep that performs the basics of what his or her job asks should not get praised. After all, it's their job and they are getting paid to do just that. Those who add extra cheer or make your coffee exactly to your overly-detailed specs should be applauded and awarded. And those who just plain do it half-assed should get a reboot in customer service skills.

Unfair? Sure, but oh well...

When you visit a place religiously, you SHOULD leave a tip. They WILL remember you and the correctness of any future orders most likely will depend on your last tip.

When all is said and done, it’s only spare change for that guaranteed sweet mocha bliss from my friendly neighborhood Barista!

Oh, for the record... Yes, I do tip. Sometimes very generously. So step it up!

Great...now I have nothing left for the parking meter.

0 comments: